Week 12- different than expected
Hey friends! I went into the craft shop on the Saturday before Thanksgiving break and glazed my mug. I went in today to pick it up and it was done! But it was white instead of blue.... The glaze that I was using was mislabeled. So today, I glazed it again and it should turn out partially blueish/greenish (you can see the design above, I wanted to add some color). I think that I will continue doing pottery and hopefully the next mug that I make will go more smoothly than this one. I can definitely see myself doing pottery every once in a while, in an attempt to maintain a good school-life balance. I've really benefited from having this creative outlet throughout the semester and a fun, artistic goal to work toward.
I've enjoyed a lot of the articles we've read this semester. I've found a few to be particularly influential and informative. I really enjoyed reading about space and place. That topic was the first that I really found engaging. I find the meaning of spaces to be really fascinating. I have also really enjoyed learning about the role of spirituality in meaning, self-theories, and occupational coaching.
I'm really grateful for the opportunity to work on this new occupation this semester. I'm glad that the next class of occupational therapy students will do the same. I would advise them to choose something they are interested in and have maybe already been thinking about doing. I've wanted to get into pottery for a long time and this was a great opportunity to begin working toward the goal of making a mug that I already had. I would also advise them to choose something they can do at home. It was sometimes a challenge to get to the pottery center or to work within the hours that they are open. It might be easier if it is an activity that can be done at home.

Hi Emily,
ReplyDeleteI think that your mug turned out great! I have enjoyed watching your journey all semester long. Do you feel like your pottery has been beneficial in helping you get some stress relief during the semester?
Thanks so much Karlee! It has definitely been beneficial for that! There's something about working with clay that is really soothing (and also something about kneading clay that gets out frustration).
ReplyDelete