Week 11- patience is a virtue

Hello everyone! Sadly, I went into the craft shop today to glaze my mug today and it was still sitting on the "ready for bisque firing" shelf. It has to be bisque fired before it can be glazed, so I have to be patient for a few more days until they do another batch of firing. 
Last week, I was reminded of our reading as I had a conversation with my roommate. She had just gone on a date and they did pottery at the craft shop. She told me about her experience and I told her about mine as I've done pottery. It was really fun to talk about the struggles that we experienced in the process of making something. It was honestly so fun and almost "therapeutic" to talk about this occupational experience together. Along similar lines of occupational story telling, I show a picture of this mug to anyone who will listen to me. As I do, I find it satisfying to share my story with people and receive a lot of great feedback and support. This has shown me the value of occupational coaching. From various sources, I've received encouragement, support, and feedback as well as being taught and having insights evoked by others. This has been crucial to my experience in this new occupation and I can see the importance of such coaching in occupational therapy. 

Comments

  1. Hey Emily!
    I must admit your mug looks spectacular! Way to go! I can tell how much you love pottery by the way you talk about it. I'm so happy that you have found something that is so meaningful for you. You have come so far since the beginning of the semester, and you really should be proud. You picked a great occupation. Its really cool that you were able to talk your roommate about your occupation. Do you feel like now that you have have a greater understanding of what you are doing in pottery that you talk about it more with others? Or do you feel that you talk about it around the same amount?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Tim! I think that now I know more about pottery (and as it has become a greater part of my identity) I do talk about it more. It just comes up more often and more naturally because it's something I enjoy doing and do on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts