Week 10- getting a handle on things!!



I am really excited to announce that there is a handle on my mug!! It looks so cute! I'm really proud of how it turned out. Now, it has to dry for a couple of days. Then it will be fired and will be ready to glaze next week! 

Last week's reading was really interesting to reflect on in terms of my new occupation. I find a lot of pleasure in the process of creating and thus find a lot of intrinsic motivation to participate in my new occupation. The choice to do pottery was made because I find pottery incredibly cool and have motivation to make a mug. Because I was able to choose a new occupation myself based on these feelings, it really facilitated autonomous motivation. However, I really related to the material that stated that outside control, deadlines, etc. (such as exist in this class) frequently diminish feelings of autonomy and intrinsic motivation. I feel that sometimes the deadlines for participation that exist for this class lead to more stress and less enjoyment as I create. 

Comments

  1. Your mug looks so great, Emily! You should be so proud of how far you have come in this occupation. I completely agree with how outside control can diminish feelings of autonomy and intrinsic motivation. Do you think that after this course is over, and there are no more external pressures and forces you will regain some of that autonomous motivation and continue with pottery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hailey! I will definitely continue pottery after this class and I think I'll find more joy and autonomous motivation in it without those deadlines. I think I'll do it less often though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts