Week 8- you win some and you lose some!
Well, you win some, you lose some! This week I was definitely on the losing side of that statement. I don't know if it was the weather, the stars, or just me, but I couldn't get it right today. The clay seemed to have a mind of its own and didn't want to work with me. It seemed that in the last 6 days I've forgot how to do pottery. But I know next week will be better and hopefully I can shake this slump!
I found last weeks reading to be really interesting and applicable to my experience with pottery. An amazing resource that I have to make my pottery possible is the ISU craft shop. It is super cheap (free even on Tuesdays) to go and spend as much time as I want working on pottery. I think that my personality traits have also been a helpful resource such as creativity, resilience toward failure, etc. Also, the people at the craft shop have been a great resource and have led to other opportunities to participate successfully in pottery (such as last week when I learned about handles and the feedback I got back about the shape/width of my mug).
It is interesting to think about the importance of resources in participating in meaningful activities. It really put into perspective some of the things we have discussed about the accessibility and inclusion of people with disabilities to ensure that they have the ability to participate in meaningful activities.

Emily, I still enjoy looking at your pottery creation even if you feel like it didn't go as well as you might have liked. What's something that you think can help you overcome slumps that we encounter in our lives with difficult things? That's super cool that the school as the craft shop that is free on Tuesdays! I didn't know about that. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Matt! I appreciate the encouragement amid the struggle haha! I think that the main thing that helps me overcome pottery slumps is to remember that it's temporary. I'll hit my stride again soon and experience flow. The eb and flow is just part of life. I also heard a quote a few days ago that has really helped me that said "You don't have to be good at your hobbies to do and enjoy them". I really like this thought and enjoy this mindset of remembering that I don't have to be the best potter to make pottery.
ReplyDelete