Week 5- ENGAGED, but not in making pottery!




Hey everyone! This week was not a great week for engaging in my new occupation. But I do have exciting news to share that I got engaged on Wednesday!! This week has been busy with beginning to plan a wedding on top of rest of the demands of school and life. Although I wasn't able to get into the craft shop this week, I have found some really helpful videos that have given me a good idea of how to improve and fun ways I can shape and glaze my mug. 
On the subject of flow, I realized through our reading last week that I have experienced "flow" state without even knowing it. As mentioned, flow happens with high attention, skill, and challenge. I experience this frequently when I create music because it requires skill that I've gained over 15 years of practice, and I attempt to learn increasingly difficult music. I can also see myself getting into flow occasionally with school work, especially active work as the article mentioned. 
I think that the challenges of pottery is sometimes still slightly above my skill level, which can hinder flow. However, I have definitely experienced flow as I've done pottery, especially when I take some time before I begin to watch videos and learn techniques of what I'll work on that day. I think that I am right on the verge of more frequent flow experiences. I believe it will happen more once I have a bit more experience and feel more comfortable. 
I am really attracted to flow experiences and really enjoy doing things for their own sake. I think I generally find a lot of joy and interest in life and am persistent in what I do. With these descriptions of the autotelic person in mind, I think that I am similar to this personality type. However, I can relate to what the author described in finding joy in flow experiences but sometimes showing preference to relaxation over flow experiences. 

Comments

  1. Emily, Congratulations on the engagement, that is so exciting! Planning a wedding is a big job, good luck with it all! What instruments do you play? I taught piano lessons for around 15 years. I decided to quit when I started the OT program. We love music at our house! My kids play the violin, piano, guitar, ukulele, and mandolin. I can say I definitely feel flow when playing music. What do you like to do to relax? Spending time with my family helps me to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisha! Wedding planning is going to keep me busy, but it's a fun break from schoolwork. I play the violin, flute, ukulele, and sing! Music is such a fun thing to do with family. All of my siblings and my mom play different instruments so our house is also one filled with music. I love the guitar wall that I can see behind you in Zoom. That is way cool!
      I also love to spend time with my family (and soon to be family) to relax. We love to bake, play games, watch movies, walk/hike, etc. to relax.

      Delete
  2. Hey congrats! Your prediction came true concerning this matter! I'm sure Aaron will now require you to make a wedding band out of clay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts