I've lost track of the week but it's midterm!



I gave myself until midterms to practice technique and become more comfortable working with clay. Well, it's midterms this week! And I'm proud to report that I made the best mug shape yet! My walls are getting to be a better and more consistent width and I got confirmation from a lady at the craft shop that they were good! I'm feeling really proud of this shape! This lady that I met also gave me some really great advice about how to add a handle! I'm excited to see how it goes!
I think that more than pottery becoming a part of my identity, my new occupation has been important in understanding that hard work and problem solving are important parts of my identity. I chose pottery because I really enjoy being creative and have always wanted to learn. I think that this choice was important because I feel that the ability to create and express is a really important part of my identity. It hasn't been easy and I've had to learn along the way, which is important to my value system of working hard at things that don't come easily. It has been difficult to work past the self-perception mirror in not seeing myself as a failure as I learn. This has helped me to work past the concern I have about how people perceive me and focus more on what is interesting and important to me.
Wish me luck as I now practice putting a handle on my mug!

Comments

  1. Hey Emily!

    It's really great to see the progress, and hear that you'll be starting on handles soon. I remember there being some pulling technique that was really fun and satisfying. I really like how you distilled out the identity traits of hard work and problem solving from the occupation of pottery. That made me think how various activities can be used to work on and develop elements of, say, cognition or gross and fine motor skills, etc. I also like that you point out that pottery is intrinsically motivating because of your own personal value system. Do you feel that is the case with many of the pursuits in your life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Devin! That lady that I met told me about that pulling technique and she compared it to milking a cow haha. It should be fun to figure out! Thanks for your thoughtful comment. I think that is the case with a lot of my life activities. I want to live a life full of meaning and want to make sure that the tasks I do daily are in line with the values that I have found important to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts