Week 3- I feel centered!


 Big news this week! I successfully centered!! I feel really confident in my ability to center the clay and much more comfortable working with it. I started shaping, a process called "pulling" the walls. I did it but my walls were really thick and then all of a sudden really thin and wobbly. My new goal for next week is to get better at making walls that are consistent in width and not too thick!

I love that part of our blog this week is about occupation enriching spirituality. This week was the first time that I've felt this as I did pottery. I put in my headphones and listened to Harry Potter on Audible while I worked and I felt... whole. I lost track of time and just enjoyed myself as I created. I enjoyed being able to shape and mold the clay. It filled a need I have to create. I felt like I was in my inner room. Although this is a new experience for me in regard to pottery, I feel this frequently as I create music. I've played the violin for a really long time and have always cherished the memories I have of an orchestra I was in. As I made music with this ensemble, I frequently felt a connection to something greater than myself and a sense of peace and fulfillment as we made beautiful music together. In summary, regardless of where these experiences come from, these occupations allow me to express myself in really important ways and feel a connection to something outside myself. I would call them spiritual experiences. 

Without the above experiences that I shared and others, I would not enjoy life because it would lack meaning. Thus, I absolutely agree that spirituality is a valid inclusion in occupational therapy and in OTPF, 3rd edition. In this document, I think that it is really important that spirituality is under the category of client factors, which are human attributes. This is an important distinction because spirituality is something that is found within each individual. This inner nature of spirituality can be seen through the way the OTPF defines spirituality. Their definition states that spirituality is the way by which meaning and purpose are created in a persons life, as well as the way connectedness and belonging are felt. From this we can see how important spirituality is to patients and our profession because of the importance we place on patients finding meaning in their lives. 




 

Comments

  1. Hey Emily! Its been so fun watching your progress, both in terms of the skills you have been building over these 3 weeks and your continued positivity. Its inspiring to see your motivation come through so strong while learning a new, and rather difficult craft. I can only imagine that sense of wholeness experienced through listening to Harry Potter while doing pottery! For me, pottery was one of the most enchanting crafts; something about the texture of the clay as I (attempted quite poorly to) pulled it up just felt like I was bringing something to life.

    Again, its inspiring to see your positivity. That kind of positivity is something I've always struggled with, not exactly sure why. As of late I've become quite aware of it, and have realized I need to address it if I don't want to turn into one of those grumpy old men. How do you feel your optimism impacts your participation in this new occupation? Are there times you don't feel optimistic with this new occupation, and if so, how do you manage those feelings? How do you feel your attitude impacted your experiences and participation in orchestras in the past?

    Very excited to see your first finished mug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Devin! You're right about the enchanting nature of pottery. It really is something beautiful working with clay. As I've begun this new occupation, I've just found joy in being new at something. I've embraced the fact that I'll be bad for a while and won't let that stop me from trying. I think it's that mindset that has allowed me to be optimistic that I'll get better with time but not downtrodden that I'm not very capable at the start. I think my positivity also stems from the mindset that even if I'm not the perfect potter, pottery is still serving it's purpose of being a creative outlet and a fun activity. One of my favorite quotes roughly says that when we let go of being perfect at something, we allow and enable ourselves to be good (and find joy in the task). I hope this answers your question :)

      Also, on a side note, I really enjoyed your sketching this week! You're doing amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts