Week 2!
Hi there! This week, I had to take a step back after the harsh realization last week that I didn't really have any idea what I was doing. I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching beginner tutorials and writing some barely legible (but very creative) notes to help me remember what I'm learning. Sadly, the craft shop was closed when I tried to go in this week (I think because of the holiday), but I'm hoping to head back in a couple days and put all I'm learning to good use. I'm really hopeful that I'll be more successful now that I have more solid information on what I'm doing.
This week, I really enjoyed the definition of occupation that described it as "engagement in self-initiated, self-directed, adaptive, purposeful, organized activity" (Yerxa). My pottery experience is very applicable to these words. This week I needed to direct and initiate my learning to get a grasp on what I need to do to be successful. As I go to the craft shop, the resources that I need are made available to me, but I am on my own to craft in any manner that I choose. My purpose is very focused on making a mug, and I have a very clear idea of what I want that to look like. However, when looking at other definitions it may not fit as well, such as occupation is "the ordinary and familiar things that people do every day" (Clark et al.) By this definition, potter is not an occupation because it is not ordinary or familiar to me and I do not do it every day.
I don't see much of a tie between my new occupation and Wilcock's model of occupation. I really enjoy the "doing" of pottery but fail to see how it helps me to be a more authentic Emily ("being"). I also don't really see myself becoming a potter or belonging in a community of potters. However, I think that it has the possibility to be that for some people. I'm sure that many people find a community of crafters that they love and the creation of a mug is an important avenue for them to make the world a better (and more beautiful) place. I do feel a greater sense of wellness and health when I create. This does relate to Wilcock's model because my doing of pottery leads to an increase in health.
(sorry for the boring picture, but it was really necessary for my learning this week)


Hey there! I took a pottery class in high school and I loved it! I never could get my little lump of clay quite centered, so one side of my bowl was inevitably slightly thicker than the other. Is there a particular kind of crafting group that you do feel a part of? Oh and a completely different question, do you plan on painting your mug when you finish it?
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome Allen! I'm glad that I'm in good company, it's a tricky process. I haven't met many people yet, so I don't really feel part of a craft group. I hope to meet more people as I continue to do pottery and make some friends/feel part of a community eventually.
DeleteI'm planning to glaze my mug after it dries enough. I've thought about painting, but ultimately I like the look and shine of a glaze better!
Thanks for your comment, good luck with the Español!